28 February 2011

Gluten Free for a Week

I met a nutrition and dietetics student a while ago who inspired me to try an experiment.

In order to gain perspective on those who follow a raw diet, she went raw for a month (January, specifically). This idea percolated in my mind for a few weeks, and after a particularly sandwich-heavy period, I decided  to take a stab at going gluten-free, a transition that a co-worker, a first-cousin-once-removed-in-law, and many, many others have made. I think it will be a valuable experience should I ever counsel patients with Celiac disease.

So beginning today, I will avoid all manifestations of wheat, barley, rye. My hypothesis, given my trial run of the past couple days, is that I will eat more vegetables, especially potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Tune in next Monday for full results.

No comments:

Post a Comment